I am going to assume that you are all aware about the inauguration of Donald Trump as president, which means we will have to bid farewell to Obama. I am not an American myself, but I am a politics enthusiast, as well as a fan of Barack. Some people might say that he has not done a lot during his two terms of presidency, which is more or less true. However, it goes without saying, that he did accomplish bits and pieces which have more or less helped some Americans.
First of all, Obama managed to create the Affordable Care Act, otherwise known as Obamacare. It has been quite a controversial act, amongst the Americans. This is because it has only really benefitted a small percentage of America, or because people believe that the law did not go far enough. However, the Affordable Care Act has actually benefitted those who were in need of immediate care. This can be seen when Paul Ryan, member of the Republican Party, was faced with answering to a cancer survivor who was glorifying Obamacare and Obama. This was during a CNN question night for the Republican member and the cancer patient was one of the first speakers that Ryan had to answer to. He exclaimed;
“Thanks to the Affordable Care Act, I’m standing here today alive,” he said. “I rely on the Affordable Care Act to be able to purchase my own insurance. Why would you repeal the Affordable Care Act without a replacement?” Then continued to say, “I want to thank President Obama from the bottom of my heart, because I would be dead if it weren’t for him.”
Therefore, it can be argued that Obama has helped numerous people with the changes he has made as president. Other accomplishments he has achieved are that he:
- Ended US military involvement in the Iraq War and increased US troop levels in Afghanistan
- Substantially increased the number of drone strikes targeting suspected terrorists around the world
- Ordered U.S. military involvement in Libya following a popular revolt against Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi
- Authorised the military operation that resulted in the death of Osama bin Laden in 2011
- Signed the Dodd -Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act in 2010, strengthening financial regulations to an extent not seen since the Great Depression
- Nominated Elena Kagan and Sonia Sotomayor to the Supreme Court – helped pass the Same-sex marriage legislation in 2013.
It is arguable to whether Obama did accomplish many things or not, he has impacted the American citizens in different ways. However, it is not arguable that he has been a great leader of America, almost in a father-figure way. He has a great personality and has made many smile endlessly throughout his presidency. I think many Americans will be sad to see him go this Saturday, especially when Donald Trump is taking over!
I have attached a few of my favourite photos of Obama during his presidency, I think it is safe to say that he will be sorely missed.